Saturday, October 17, 2009

No new fabric for the colorblock dress...

... even though I'm drooling for Robert Kaufman Radiance silk/cotton blend. Still nervous about dropping double-digit-dollar per yard of fabric.

So I dug around my cheap-o stash and found just enough miscellaneous cotton to make this dress:
  • White Ikea bedsheet that I was using for amateurish photo backdrop, and later for muslin, and now it will be the skirt of the dress. It may be enough for a bias layout plus lining.
  • mjb likes the chocolate-chartreuse combo (so do I!), but there's no existing chocolate cotton, and the closest I have to chartreuse is olive, which looks awfully drab. I do have a piece of red, which is enough for the bands.
  • No gray cotton laying around either, so the bodice will be black Kona cotton that was meant for another project, and now it will be the bodice plus lining.
White skirt + black bodice + red band = looks like:


... which I think is the same dress as this:


... and this:


... which is a Spring 2008 Gucci.

Hm... I probably need to start making winter dresses after this one.

2 comments:

  1. That dress is awesome - at the moment I am loving dresses which look like a top and a skirt togather. And wide bands at the waist can be so slimming I think. Very excited to see your finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that dress! would love to see you make one!

    chie

    ReplyDelete