Sunday, January 3, 2010

Purple knit dress

Good thing I used the cheap polyester knit for this one. 

As predicted, I did some wrong math on the pattern drafting effort.  The armholes ended up very tight.  The book says to up the armsyce by .75 inches, so I did my usual .5, which in retrospect wasn't necessary (might actually need to lower it instead).  Also, the pattern calls for a straight silhouette, but I cut mine on the curvy side.  So the resulting drape looks a bit funny.

Construction-wise, it's a mixed result.  I didn't have any idea how to attach the roll collar, so it was pure improvisation, full of turning inside out and stretching here and there.  At one point I actually heard "rrrip!"  Thankfully I saw no sign of broken stitches, just a very stretched collar.

I used French seams for the sides.  It's my first time using French seam and I love the finished look, so I think I'll be using it a lot from now on.

Some pictures:

Full length (the stripe effect is from the window blinds):

I lightened up the picture a bit so the draping would show better:

I think I will make this dress again in the future, with a straighter silhouette, corrected armsyce, better construction know-how for the roll collar, and of course, nicer fabric, because apparently polyester melts when pressed.


  1. Nice dress. I like this silhouette, it looks very shapely.

  2. it turned out beautifully :) well done

  3. Well done! I find it soooo hard to work with stretch fabric, especially polyester. You've done a great job.

  4. I can't see those imperfections that you are talking about, it looks absolutely beautiful! The color is strong, that bow is a perfect accent.And it suits you so well. and you have perfectly shaped arms.

  5. this is so nice! i like how the fabric drapes from the neckline. great job!!

  6. wowee... nice...